edWeb Releases 2021 Professional Learning Survey Results
edWeb.net has just released its 2021 Professional Learning Survey at a time when supporting educators with current and effective professional learning has never been more important with the COVID-19 pandemic. Educators had to pivot instantly to remote learning and make unprecedented changes in the delivery of instruction and support for students and families.
edWeb has provided preK-12 educators with free online professional learning communities, edWebinars, and CE certificates for over 10 years and was on hand when schools switched to remote learning in the spring of 2020. Professional learning programs were adapted immediately for the change in circumstances. edWeb experienced a 45% increase in community membership and a 66% increase webinar viewership as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
edWeb has been benchmarking members’ attitudes about professional learning for four years. This year, questions were added to the annual survey to get feedback on how professional learning has helped with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The survey was sent via email the week of April 12th to 125,000 edWeb members and received 1,295 replies, a 1% response rate, with no incentive. Key takeaways from the survey include the following:
- edWeb members continue to rate webinars as the type of professional learning that helps the most.
- The most important features of professional learning are that the content is current and relevant, and that they can participate on their own time.
- The top reasons edWeb members participate in professional learning are to improve learning for their students, learn new ideas and practices, and to improve teaching.
- edWeb members continue to report that edWeb has an impact on their own students’ learning, and that the knowledge is shared and frequently has a school-wide impact on student learning.
- 62% of respondents said that edWeb was better than other professional learning programs for getting support during the pandemic.
- edWeb members report that in three areas of importance during the pandemic, edWeb has been very helpful: social-emotional issues (66%), remote learning (63%), and equity (60%).
Educators provided over 1,100 comments as part of the survey that provide a deeper understanding of educators’ needs. Overall, the comments reflect the importance of providing professional learning that helps educators connect and collaborate with their peers, “We are not isolated in our common concerns regarding student learning in light of the COVID pandemic, and it has been a great resource to find solutions to common problems shared by fellow educators.”
Lisa Schmucki, the founder and CEO of edWeb.net, commented, “When we launched edWeb in 2008, we had no idea this pandemic was coming. I’m so thankful we could help during this tragic year with free online professional learning and support for educators who have been so dedicated to helping their students, and their families, through this. Our sponsors and partners have been amazing in adapting their presentations to meet the needs of the moment.”
Download the complete 2021 Teacher Professional Learning Survey.
Comments are closed.