Last Updated: September 5, 2018
edWeb.net is a professional networking website for the education community. When you register you are asked for professional information that can help us connect you with other members of the education community. Your profile on edWeb.net can be viewed by any other member of edWeb.net. Do not enter any information in your personal profile that you do not want to share with the entire edWeb community.
You can adjust your personal settings to limit who can contact you on edWeb.net. These settings can be updated at any time by clicking on “My Settings” on your personal member page. You can go to “My Settings” and download a copy of the information that we have stored in your edWeb member record.
Please note that edWeb.net provides free services to educators thanks to the support of our sponsors and partners. Please see below how we share information with sponsors and partners.
Your Profile Information
When you register on edWeb.net, you create a personal profile that includes your full name, title, department, institution, city, state/province, zip/postal code, and country. You have the option to add a personal photo, a biography, your educational interests, and organizations you are affiliated with. This information is displayed as your profile information to all members of edWeb.net.
When you join edWeb.net you take a survey of your functions and interests in the educational community. If you are a preK – 12 educator, you will be prompted to select your school/district so we can append information about the school/district where you work to your member profile.
Your user ID (login) is your email address and you create a private password. Your email address is not displayed by edWeb.net. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for all activities that occur under your password. You agree to allow edWeb.net to update your email address if edWeb.net receives a change of email notice from you. You agree to let edWeb.net change your password for you if your password is lost.
When you register for edWeb.net, you can control which members of edWeb.net can contact you: contacts and friends, members of your communities, members of selected segments of the education community, all members of edWeb.net, or no one. You can change these settings at any time by going to the “My Settings” link on your personal home page.
You can go to “My Settings” and download a copy of the information that we have stored in your edWeb member record.
Sharing Content on the edWeb
As an edWeb.net Member, you can share content, such as a blog, photos, and resource files you have uploaded. This information will be available to other members of edWeb.net if you allow access to the information through your privacy settings. You can customize who on edWeb.net is allowed access to your information.
You can also form edWeb.net “communities” to make it easier to share information and resources and collaborate with a group of your peers. If you form the community, you are the primary administrator and control all of the community settings. You can designate other community members to be “helper” administrators. The community administrators are responsible for determining how other members of edWeb.net may access the community and to what degree the community’s discussions, blog, files and other content are accessible to other members of edWeb.net. A community may be public, private or hidden and the content within the community may have a variety of policies governing how other members of the site interact with it.
If you are the primary administrator of a private or hidden community, you will be able to download reports on the activity of the members of your community. It is your responsibility to protect this data. The information can only be used for the express purpose of the community and cannot be distributed to third parties. It is your responsibility to follow all U. S. and foreign regulations regarding data privacy and email marketing.
Although we allow you to set privacy options that limit access to the content of your personal and community pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We also cannot control the actions of other members whom you may allow to access your profile. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your information will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
How We Use Your Information
With the exceptions listed below, we do not give or sell personally identifiable information to advertisers. We use aggregated information to help edWeb members connect with other members who share common roles, interests, and characteristics. We also use aggregated information to help our sponsors reach the target audience they want to reach. We may also disclose aggregate information in order to describe our membership audience and services to prospective partners, sponsors, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
We may disclose personally identifiable information under the following circumstances:
- When you register for the site, if you have selected the option to receive information from edWeb.net partner organizations, we may provide your name, job title, email address, registration survey data, location, and institution information to our sponsor and partner organizations so they can contact you directly.
- If you are a member of an edWeb.net community or register or attend an edWebinar, we may provide your name, job title, email address, registration survey data, location, and institution information to the administrator, host, sponsor, and presenter(s).
- If you are a member of a private or hidden community on edWeb.net or are using edWeb to earn hours for professional development, you agree that we can provide data on your edWebinar transcript to your edWeb community administrator(s) and/or supervisor(s) responsible for approving your professional learning hours. If you are in a state that has approved edWeb.net for continuing education hours, then you agree that edWeb can provide data on your transcript to the official state office that regulates approval of your hours. Check your state status here.
- If you send e-mail from the Site, your address will appear as the return address of that e-mail.
- If you ask us to put you on our opt-out email list, we will provide this information to our authorized service providers so you DO NOT receive additional emails from us. This is required by federal CAN-SPAM legislation.
- If we conduct campaigns to invite other members of the education community to join edWeb.net, we will provide your contact information to our authorized service providers so you DO NOT receive duplicate email invitations from us.
- We employ subcontractors and service providers who help us develop and maintain edWeb.net. They have access to our user information, so that they can perform their services for us, including maintaining our core engine, hosting services, and performing system maintenance and enhancement. These parties are subject to confidentiality agreements that restrict their use and disclosure of information they obtain through their relationship with us.
- As required by applicable law, or in response to legal process, to protect our rights or property, or to protect our safety or the safety of our users or others.
In addition, edWeb.net may use your personal information to:
- Contact you by email or phone regarding your membership and activities on the site.
- To assist you if you have lost your user ID or need help changing your user ID or password.
When you register for edWeb.net or for one of our edWebinars or events, you give us your permission to use email to send you periodic updates and information and to use your email address to send you notifications of activities related to your participation on the site. You can unsubscribe from our email marketing communications by following the instructions at the bottom of the email message. You can adjust the setting for notifications from communities you join on edWeb by going to “My Setting” on your user home page. If at any time you are concerned about the volume of email you are receiving from edWeb.net, please contact us at help@edWeb.net.
Cookies and Other Technologies We Use
We use “session cookies” to manage your experience on our site. A session cookie is a small piece of information we ask your browser to send to us along with each request you make to view a page on edWeb.net. We use this information so that you can best take advantage of the features of the site during your visit. Your browser will no longer send session cookies to us either when you close your browser or when you log out. The next time you visit us, you will be given new session cookies. This is what differentiates session cookies from permanent cookies; permanent cookies are stored on your computer, and your browser will be able to send the same information during your visit as was sent during earlier visits. We use permanent cookies to understand more fully how members are using edWeb.net and how we can improve it
When we send you emails, we may use a variety of mechanisms including the use of embedded images to determine the number of members who open our emails. These images would also allow us to count users who have visited edWeb.net and to deliver co-branded services. When you click on a link in an email, we may record this individual response to allow us to customize our offerings to you. Embedded images may also be used to conduct research on behalf of some partners on their websites for auditing purposes and/or to determine aggregate information about users, including demographic and usage information. Embedded images are not used to access your personally identifiable information, but they are a technique we may use to compile aggregated statistics about usage of edWeb.net. Embedded images collect only a limited set of information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, originating IP address, and a description of the page on which the embedded images resides. If you find our site using a search engine, the search engine and the search term used may be transmitted back to our ad-serving service providers via a cookie. This information is anonymous and does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address. This information is used only in the aggregate to evaluate how users reach our site.
We believe we take appropriate precautions to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. Certain parts of the site use a secure web server, which allows web browser programs to interact with the server via an encrypted session using a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection between you and us. Users may move in and out of secured areas on the Site. You should be able to identify when you are in a secure area by “https” or a lock appearing on the screen. This will depend on the type of browser used.
Do not share your password with anyone. We will never ask you for your password. If you are using a computer to which others have access, such as one in a computer lab, Internet cafe, or public library, always remember to log out and close your browser window when leaving the site. Do not save your password on a public or shared computer.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use appropriate means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of any information you disclose via edWeb.net, including via e-mail. When disclosing any personal information, you should remain mindful of the fact that it is potentially accessible by unauthorized persons. By disclosing any information, you accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing online over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security. We disclaim all liability for the security of information transmitted through the Internet.
Links to Third Parties
You may contact edWeb.net by phone at 800-575-6015 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mailing address is PO Box 1387, Princeton, NJ 08542.