Join live or receive a link to the recording and earn a CE certificate
- This event has passed.
End Peer Cruelty, Build Empathy: Create Safe, Caring, Inclusive Learning Climates
Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT
Presented by Michele Borba, Ed.D., Educational Psychologist, Author, and Expert on Bullying Prevention and Character Development
Sponsored by Free Spirit Publishing
If you view the recording and would like a CE certificate, join the Social-Emotional Learning, Positive Behavior, and Student Achievement community and go to the CE Quizzes link in the Community Toolbox.
Bullying, alienation, and self-doubt should not—and need not—plague any students in our classrooms. In this edWebinar, a sought-after educational consultant offers proven, practical teaching practices that mobilize student empathy. Dr. Michele Borba shares proactive, no-cost strategies you can use the very next day in your classroom and can weave into existing lesson plans. You’ll learn:
- How to create an emotionally safe learning culture to reduce peer cruelty and enhance respect and social responsibility
- Simple cooperative strategies that boost student connection, increase learning engagement, and promote inclusion
- Techniques to expand student perspective taking, cultivate empathy, and build social-emotional learning (SEL)
- The essential “6Rs” that reduce bullying along with examples of ways many schools are implementing those practices
- No-cost ideas to reduce the cycle of youth violence in classrooms and schools
- Ways to mobilize student compassion and instill six “Bully-BUSTER” skills so students will step in and be active upstanders
The best news: if we apply these simple strategies together we really can revolutionize not only our classrooms and schools but also our society. K–12 educators in private and public schools, including classroom teachers, administrators, social workers, counselors, principals, and classified personnel, will benefit from watching this recorded session.
About the Presenter
Michele Borba, Ed.D. is a globally recognized educational psychologist and an expert in character development and bullying prevention whose aim is to strengthen children’s empathy and resilience and break the cycle of youth violence. She has delivered keynotes and workshops to over one million participants and authored 24 books translated into 14 languages. Dr. Borba is an NBC contributor with frequent appearances on the Today Show as well as Dateline, Anderson Cooper, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, The View, NBC Nightly News, CNN, and others. She is an in-demand motivational speaker and former classroom teacher.
Join the Social-Emotional Learning, Positive Behavior, and Student Achievement community to network with educators, participate in online discussions, receive invitations to upcoming webinars, view past webinars, take a quiz to receive a CE certificate for a past webinar, and access free resources.
Free Spirit is the leading publisher of learning tools that support young people’s social-emotional health and educational needs. We help children and teens think for themselves, overcome challenges, and make a difference in the world.