Join live or receive a link to the recording and earn a CE certificate

Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Advice for Navigating Challenging Conversations in Early Childhood Programs

Thursday, July 13, 2023 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT

Elevating Equity book cover

Presented by Angela Searcy, Ed.D., Author, Adjunct Instructor, and Mental Health Consultant, Erikson Institute and Simple Solutions Educational Services
Moderated by Jennifer Lewis, President, Gryphon House, Inc.

Sponsored by Gryphon House

Watch the Recording

Learn more about viewing the live presentation and the recording, earning your CE certificate, and using our new accessibility features.

If you think perfect harmony is the essential characteristic of quality early childhood programming, research shows otherwise. A study by Andrew Gianino and Edward Tronick (1988) showed that even the most positive relationships are in perfect harmony 30 percent of the time and spend the other 70 percent of the time navigating conflict. Conflict is an essential part of the human condition (not adult aggression, intimidation, or abuse—in those situations, emergency measures should be employed).

In this edWebinar, Angela Searcy, Ed.D. discusses navigating equity issues like equally divvying up lesson-planning responsibilities, quarrels with families over how much homework is too much, disagreements over professional responsibilities around supporting identity development, curriculum implementation, and parental responsibilities when a child has a disability. This session helps you capitalize on these opportunities to better understand yourself, your colleagues, and the families you serve. Dr. Searcy’s Push Past It! framework provides strategies to understand your unique conflict style and concrete tools (like the adult meaning making machine) to help you get through conflict so you can elevate equity.

This recorded edWebinar is of interest to early childhood teachers, librarians, school and district leaders, and education technology leaders.

Angela SearcyAbout the Presenters

Dr. Angela Searcy holds a B.A. degree in English and secondary education with a teacher certification through the state of Illinois, an M.S. degree in early childhood development from Erikson Institute with a specialization in infant studies, and a Doctor of Education with a specialization in assessment and response to intervention. Her research revolves around brain-based learning as assessed by CLASS and its correlation to aggressive behaviors in preschool children. Dr. Searcy has a developmental therapy credential through the early intervention systems of Illinois and an Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Certificate from Erikson Institute.

An educator since 1990, Dr. Searcy is the owner and founder of Simple Solutions Educational Services and has experience at all levels of education. Dr. Searcy is currently a seminar leader and adjunct faculty at Erikson Institute, a professional development provider for Discovery Source, a CLASS Pre-K Affiliate Trainer for Teachstone, a mental health and educational consultant, and the author of Push Past It! A Positive Approach to Challenging Classroom Behaviors and Elevating Equity: Advice for Navigating Challenging Conversations in Early Childhood Programs.

Jennifer LewisAbout the Moderator

Jennifer Lewis is the President at Gryphon House, Inc., the leading publisher of educational resources for teachers and parents.

Learn more about viewing the live presentation and the recording, earning your CE certificate, and using our new accessibility features.

Join the Early Learning Book Chats community to network with educators, participate in online discussions, receive invitations to upcoming edWebinars, and view recordings of previous programs to earn CE certificates.

Gryphon HouseGryphon House, Inc. is an award-winning publisher of early childhood resources for teachers and parents.

Gryphon House


Thursday, July 13, 2023
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT
Event Categories:
, ,
Event Tags:
, , ,
Back to Top