- This event has passed.
Designing Your Primary Classroom to Support Learning
Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT
Presented by Pamela Evanshen, EdD; with Janet Faulk, EdD
Sponsored by Kaplan Early Learning
If you attended the live session, you’ll be emailed a CE certificate within 24 hours of the edWebinar. If you view the recording and would like a CE certificate, join the Classroom Management for Early Learning community and go to the edWebinar Archives folder to take the CE quiz.
This recorded edWebinar will help you design a more effective primary classroom environment to better support teaching and learning. Dr. Pamela Evanshen and Dr. Janet Faulk begin with a review of the philosophy and theory related to developmentally appropriate practice for young learners in the primary grades. They then explore the components of an environment that support these six types of learning:
- Meaningful Learning, which occurs in a brain-compatible classroom environment which is safe, healthy and welcoming for the learner
- Social Learning, which promotes positive learning interactions through room arrangement and furniture design
- Purposeful Learning, which facilitates discovery, active engagement and learning through allocation of defined areas in the classroom (e.g. learning centers and stations), student space and teacher space
- Responsible Learning, which encourages and sustains engagement in learning through multiple and accessible tools and materials
- Continuous Learning, which supports the content and process of learning through visible and authentic peripherals and artifacts which represent and document the current learning topics
- Inquiry-based Learning, which fosters active student engagement, higher-order thinking, reflection and application of skills
Photographic examples of how to design a primary learning environment to engage children in active learning are shared throughout the session. This recorded event is designed for kindergarten through third grade teachers and administrators.
About the Presenters
Dr. Pamela Evanshen holds a Doctorate of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis and is currently Professor and Department Chair of the Department of Early Childhood Education at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, TN. Dr. Evanshen has published books and articles and presents at conferences nationally and internationally. She has been a teacher and administrator in early childhood and special education in public schools for 16 years prior to moving into higher education at ETSU.
Dr. Janet Faulk has been a teacher at the preschool, elementary, middle school and college levels in both public and private institutions and has worked as an educational diagnostician with students in grades preK-12. She holds a Doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis. Dr. Faulk has authored books and articles focused on developing learning environments for young children.
Join the Classroom Management for Early Learning community to network with educators, participate in online discussions, receive invitations to upcoming edWebinars, view past edWebinars, take a quiz to receive a CE certificate for a past edWebinar, and access free resources.