Join live or receive a link to the recording and earn a CE certificate
- This event has passed.
A Play-Based Approach to Emergent Curriculum and School Readiness
Thursday, April 16, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDT
Presented by Sarah Taylor Vanover, Ed.D., CFLE, Director, Division of Child Care, Commonwealth of Kentucky
Sponsored by Gryphon House
Get a CE Certificate for this edWebinar Learn more
In this edWebinar, learn how preschool teachers can use a child’s natural instincts for play to enhance all areas of the child’s development. Viewers will be able to:
- Recognize that pre-planned thematic units do not typically meet the needs of the students in the preschool classroom
- Identify what school readiness looks like
- Recognize teachable moments during the course of the school day and utilize those moments for deeper learning
- Select curriculum based on the developmental level of the children in the classroom
- Encourage teachers and parents to appreciate an emergent curriculum classroom
This recorded edWebinar will also highlight the different curriculum areas of the preschool classroom and how to incorporate emergent curriculum practices into those skills.
This recorded edWebinar will be of interest to preK teachers and school leaders.
About the Presenter
Dr. Sarah Vanover is currently the Director of the Division of Child Care for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. She has worked in the early childhood education field for over 20 years as an assistant teacher, teacher, program administrator, trainer, and classroom teaching coach. She has also worked at the state level to assist with policy development and supervision of early childhood programs like in-home child care providers and licensed child care facilities. For the past several years she has focused her work and her research on assessing quality early childhood programs for health and safety requirements and school readiness skills.
Join the Early Learning Book Chats community to network with educators, participate in online discussions, receive invitations to upcoming edWebinars, and view recordings of previous programs to earn CE certificates.