Register for Free edWebinars Below
Join live or receive a link to the recording and earn a CE certificate
- This event has passed.
Diverse Strategies for Communication with Dual Language Learners
Wednesday June 29, 2016 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT
Presented by Dr. Jennifer J. Chen, Associate Professor of Early Childhood-Family Studies at Kean University, New Jersey
Sponsored by Gryphon House
Educating the nation’s rapidly rising child population of dual language learners (DLLs) is as much a challenge as it is an opportunity for improving our practice with them. Many English-speaking young children struggle with learning to communicate effectively. DLLs face a double challenge of learning not only the academics (content/task knowledge and skills), but also the social imperatives associated with communication. To be successful in school, they must navigate the cultural, linguistic, academic, and social terrains. The book, Connecting Right from the Start: Fostering Effective Communication with Dual Language Learners, was conceived to offer a wide variety of strategies for fostering effective communication skills in DLLs that are needed to succeed academically and socially now and in the future. It also includes strategies for DLLs with special needs.
Learning objectives include:
- Understanding how diverse early childhood settings are
- Connecting theories of second-language acquisition, Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences, and Vygotsky’s sociocultural theory to practice
- Applying effective strategies of assessment of and for DLLs’ learning
- Applying developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate strategies to address DLLs’ diverse communication needs
- Understanding the importance of and applying effective strategies for building strong school-family-community partnerships
This recorded webinar is designed to meet the needs of early childhood teachers, infant through third grade and those educators who work with special needs.
Dr. Jennifer J. Chen is an associate professor of early childhood and family studies at Kean University in New Jersey, where she was the President of NJ Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators. The author of the new book, Connecting Right from the Start: Fostering Effective Communication with Dual Language Learners, Dr. Chen has contributed more than 40 other scholarly publications to the field. A Fulbright Scholar in 2013-14 in Hong Kong, Dr. Chen earned her Ed.D. and Ed.M. from Harvard University.